DIY Bundle 2TB Crucial MX500 6G SSD and HDD Kit for 27" iMac (2012 - 2019) iMac
Complete DIY kit for upgrading your late 2012 or later 27" iMac's main hard drive
Add a high-performance Crucial MX500 6G SSD to your iMac.
No software hacks required.
Backed by free DIY install videos and expert support.
Upgrade with Confidence!
The complete solution for your 2012 - 2019 27" iMac
Experience the extreme performance of an Integral SSD upgrade with this easy DIY SSD and hard drive replacement kit. Add an SSD to your hard drive equipped iMac to experience faster booting, near instant application launches and data transfer speeds up over 500 MB/s.
Fast and reliable solid-state storage
With sustained data speeds of over 500 MB/s, up to 100X greater data protection than enterprise class Hard Disk Drives, and RAISE technology for RAID like data protection and reliability, the Crucial MX500 6G SSD line delivers unbeatable performance, that's backed by an incredible OWC SSD Limited Warranty.
Upgrade Your iMac with Confidence.
OWC's in-line solution is the only hardware digital thermal sensor on the market allowing a third-party SATA drive to be installed in your iMac. A convenient, plug-and-play cable, the In-line Digital Thermal Sensor eliminates fan noise and maintains proper system fan control through the iMac's System Management Controller. This innovative device is designed specifically for the iMac, requires no software hacks and ensures compatibility with Apple's built-in diagnostic processes.
Maintains the highest performance while offering ultimate convenience
The NewerTech AdaptaDrive has been benchmark test proven to deliver the same data transfer rates as is experienced when a drive is connected directly to the SATA data bus. The AdaptaDrive doesn't create a bottleneck or any performance throttling...it delivers pure data pass-through performance and drive use convenience from any 2.5" SATA 1.5Gb/s, 3Gb/s, or 6Gb/s hard drive or SSD.
Please note, that before attempting to perform this installation, it is recommended you watch the associated instructional video in its entirety to determine your ability to perform this complex procedure. OWC assumes no responsibility for damage that may occur during the install.
(1) Crucial MX500 6G SSD
(1) AdaptaDrive 2.5" to 3.5" Drive Converter Bracket
(1) OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor Cable
(2) OWC 2-1/4" Suction Cup
(1) Torx T10 driver
(1) Torx T8 driver
(1) 27" iMac Adhesive tape set for proper display resealing
(1) Nylon Pry Tool (Spudger)
(1) OWC Screen Removal Tool
(1) OWC Blue Microfiber Screen Cleaning Cloth
NOTE: This kit contains consumable and/or one time use components and therefore is non-refundable if opened. If you have any concerns about your ability to perform the upgrade, you can return the unopened kit for a refund.
Crucial MX500 CT250MX500SSD1 SSD specifications
- Start your system in seconds
- Load files almost instantly
- Accelerate your most demanding applications
- Store massive amounts of data with drive capacities up to 2TB
- Be more efficient with Micron® 3D NAND
- Enjoy a cooler, quieter computer and extend laptop battery life using only 100 mW of power
- Keep all your saved work if power is unexpectedly cut with Integrated Power Loss Immunity
- Get a high price-to-performance ratio without needing a financing plan to pay for it
- Protect your data on a drive that’s tried, tested, and proven from start to finish
- Block hackers and thieves with AES 256-bit hardware-based encryption
- Transfer files easily from your old drive with Acronis® True Image™ HD
- Manage and improve your SSD with the Crucial Storage Executive tool
- 5-year limited warranty
It's worth it.
Every time you turn on your computer, you’re using your storage drive. It holds all your irreplaceable files and it loads and saves almost everything your system does. Join more and more people who are keeping their family videos, travel photos, music, and important documents on an SSD, and get the near-instant performance and lasting reliability that comes with solid state storage. Upgrade with the Crucial MX500 SSD, a drive built on quality, speed, and security that’s all backed by helpful service and support. Even if you’ve never installed an SSD, don’t sweat it – our step-by-step guide walks you through the process to make installation easy. It’s worth it.
Fly through everything you do
Start your system in seconds, load files almost instantly, and accelerate the most demanding applications with the Crucial MX500. Our Dynamic Write Acceleration technology uses an adaptable pool of high-speed, single- level cell flash memory to generate blistering speeds.
Store up to 2TB of data
Save massive amounts of photos, music, and videos comfortably and securely. With fast access to your media, creations, and designs, you’re ready to share at the speed of your life.
Enjoy the efficiency of next-gen Micron® 3D NAND
Our cutting-edge components are engineered from start to finish for efficiency. As a result, the Crucial MX500 uses only a minimal amount of power and still delivers a high price-to-performance ratio – without needing a financing plan to pay for it. Experience a faster, cooler, and quieter computer in your home or business. You’ll wonder how you ever put up with a hard drive.
Upgrade with a drive you can count on
With thousands of hours of pre-release validation, dozens of SSD qualification tests, and a heritage of award- winning SSDs, the Crucial MX500 has been thoroughly tried, tested, and proven. Secure your most important files on a drive with established dependability and these advanced features.
- Hardware-based encryption: Keep personal files and confidential data restricted from hackers and thieves with AES 256-bit encryption that meets all industry standards, including Microsoft® eDrive, IEEE- 1667, and TCG Opal 2.0.
- Integrated Power Loss Immunity: Avoid unintended data loss when the power unexpectedly goes out. This built-in feature of our new NAND protects your data swiftly and efficiently, so if your system suddenly shuts down, you keep all your saved work.
- Exclusive Data Defense: Prevent your photos, music, videos, and other files from becoming corrupted and unusable with layers of error correction and adaptive read technology. Redundant Array of Independent NAND: Protect your data at the component level with an SSD that automatically provides parity protection for your data. This high-end feature works similarly to how RAID is used with multiple hard drives and maintains the integrity of your data, especially for intense users.
- Built-in durability: Because SSDs don’t use moving parts that wear out over time (unlike hard drives), your files are less susceptible to a crash. SSDs are better equipped to survive physical trauma, like getting dropped, because they don’t rely on mechanical parts.
Install with confidence
For many people, opening a computer and transferring data seems terrifying. That’s why we’ve made it easy in the step-by-step Crucial SSD Install Guide. Check it out before you buy, then install your own SSD quickly with everything transferred over successfully and hassle-free.
Micron® quality – a higher level of reliability.
As a brand of Micron, one of the largest flash storage manufacturers in the world, the Crucial MX500 is backed by the same quality and engineering innovation that has produced some of the world’s most advanced memory and storage technologies for more than 35 years. Split-second speeds, lasting reliability, and a decades-long legacy – upgrading with the Crucial MX500 gives you the best combination of quality, performance, and security. It’s worth it.
The best warranty is one you never have to use - but should the need occur - we're proud to provide a superior level of support and service coverage to our customers.
5 Year Crucial SSD Limited Warranty
1 Year OWC Brand Standard Limited Warranty on the OWC In-line Thermal Sensor cable
5 Year NewerTech Product Limited Warranty on the NewerTech AdaptaDrive
Other DetailsiMac w/Retina 5K display (27-inch Early 2019) (March 2019) Model ID: iMac19,1 | 3.0GHz i5, 3.1GHz i5, 3.7GHz i5, 3.6GHz i9
iMac w/Retina 5K display (27-inch Mid 2017) (June 2017) Model ID:iMac18,3 | 3.4GHz i5, 3.5GHz i5, 3.8GHz i5, 4.2GHz i7
iMac w/Retina 5K display (27-inch Late 2015) (October 2015) Model ID:iMac17,1 | 3.2GHz i5, 3.3GHz i5, 4.0GHz i7
iMac w/Retina 5K display (27-inch Mid 2015) (May 2015) Model ID: iMac15,1 | 3.3GHz i5, 3.5GHz i5, 4.0GHz i7
iMac w/Retina 5K display (27-inch Late 2014) (October 2014) Model ID: iMac15,1 | 3.5GHz i5, 4.0GHz i7
iMac (27-inch Late 2013) (September, 2013) Model ID: iMac14,2 | 3.2GHz i5, 3.4GHz i5, 3.5GHz i7
iMac (27-inch Late 2012) (October 2012) Model ID: iMac13,2 | 2.9GHz i5, 3.2GHz i5, 3.4GHz i7